Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Unit 2 Reflection: 9.28.2016

       Throughout Unit 2, lessons generally circulated around macromolecules, including specific topics such as enzymes, while describing different types of bonds. As we went through vodcasts, I found myself learning the content of this unit at a steady pace, going back every day or so to review, and quizzing myself. Although some information is still fuzzy when I am asked to remember it, most information is clear. From this, I didn't just learn about things in the unit such as hydrogen bonds or polarity, but how to review work effectively and efficiently. After trying multiple studying techniques, I found something that worked for me and studied specifically with it, learning more than I usually would in a unit.
        As I started my first vodcast for the unit, Macromolecules (Part 1), I learned about how the chapter would mainly consist of different types of macromolecules, and how they interact and help the human body. In the vodcast, I was told about the first two macromolecules, Carbohydrates and Lipids, which are used for energy storage, along with other things. In these two specific macromolecules, I learned about sugar rings in carbohydrates, along with the bland taste and massive energy storage of polyssaccharides. After, I took notes on lipids, realizing that they are, in fact, healthy, benefiting to the body greatly. This is, however, if the lipid is an unsaturated fat, found in things like avocados, to things like cell membranes, its types varying from phospolipids to fatty acids.
        Soon after, I moved onto the next vodcast, Macromolecules (Part 2), which talked about the other two macromolecules, being proteins and nucleic acids. Through this source, I discovered that proteins consisted of two main groups, being structural proteins, which consist of muscles, hair, and nails, along with enzymes, which lower activation time for chemical reactions. Of these enzymes, each has an optimal pH and temperature in which they speed up their chemical reaction.
        In my last vodcast for the section, I learned specifically about enzymes, and how much they really contributed to the human body. Going through the vodcast, I retained information, such as how enzymes are used in almost everything. For example, enzymes are used in things like laundry detergent in order to break down clothes, to things like biotech in order to transform substances into new substances.
        Throughout the Unit, I also participated in various labs, including the Sweetness lab, the Enzyme virtual lab, and the Cheese lab. These labs enhanced my awareness of different macromolecules. For example, the cheese lab emphasized enzymes for proteins, while the Sweetness lab emphasized carbohydrate function in the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment