Friday, September 2, 2016

Jean Lab Analysis: 8.31.2016


Throughout the course of this experiment, my group and I asked the question "What concentration of bleach is best to fade the color out of new denim material in 10 minutes without visible damage to fabric?" I found with my group that a bleach solution with a percentage of bleach equaling 25% is the best solution to bleach jeans with, as with the other solutions of bleach equaling 100%, 50%, 12.5%, and 0% either had visible fabric damage, or did not bleach the jeans enough, if at all. In fact, much of the other group's jean fabric turned out similar when bleached with the same solutions. This data supports our cause because our result of bleaching jeans with the 25% solution was supported positively supported by multiple other experiments.
          While our hypothesis was supported by our data, there could have been errors due to the 50% solution having more twice as much solution as every other solution, as well as every beaker, while similar in mass, not being completely equal to their respective solution. This could have affected my group's results by slightly changing the color or fabric damage of the jean pieces. Due to these errors, I would recommend measuring the beaker more carefully, marking it with tape, or paying more attention to directions or stating them in class to direct the students.
          This lab was done to demonstrate the lab process done in experiments, so we can prepare for biology experiments in the future. From this lab I learned how to effectively complete labs, as well as the ability to better understand variables, which helps me understand the concept of variables in general, as well as the lab process. Based on my experience from this lab, I could use what I learned to better complete other biology labs, as well as when I study on my own. This can also be applied to when others want to bleach their jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment